Sister Janet Pugh- Medical Update Page
Sister Janet Pugh
Beloved Wife of Missionary Curtis Pugh
Medical Update Page
- Date = 1/24/2011, Time = 8:00:00
- Update = I just talked with Bro. Curtis concerning Sis. Janet and he conveyed the doctor’s concern that she has not fully come out from under the anesthesia. She opens her eyes and responds to touch but is not fully alert. They have done a cat scan but the results are inconclusive. They plan another scan later today. The doctor says that she should have come out from under the effects of the anesthesia after 6 hours, but it has now been 12 hours. This concerns the doctor. There is a possibility that she could have had a stroke but we don’t know for sure. We, too, are concerned and ask for your prayers for Sis. Janet and the family. Bro. Jerry Dodson
- Date = 1/24/2011, Time = 13:45:00
- Update = I spoke with Brother Curtis Pugh today at 1:45 PM and he said that Sister Janet is not doing as well as she should be. He said they ran another brain scan and she did not have a stroke as they thought may have happened, which is some good news. She can open her eyes and can blink her eyes upon command and can answer „no” or „yes” with eye blinks but she can not move at all. The doctor does not know what happened to cause this but it appears not to be normal and is very serious. Needless to say Brother Curtis is very sorrowful for his wife. He loves her very much and covets all our prayers in this matter. Please pray for Brother Curtis Pugh and Sister Janet Pugh. Lucien LeSage
- Date = 1/24/2011, Time = 21:15:00
- Update = Brother Jerry Dodson spoke with Brother Curtis tonight and the doctor had called brother Curtis at his hotel room to let him know that Sister Janet moved her hand when he pinched her. The doctor was encouraged about her response. Brother Curtis is encouraged and hopeful about this news.
- Date = 1/25/2011, Time = 10:52:23
- Update = Brother Jerry spoke with Bro. Curtis this morning and his daughter from Michigan had come in and they were at the hotel and had not been to the hospital yet. Brother Jerry is going to call later to see how Sister Janet is doing. Lucien LeSage
- Date = 1/25/2011, Time = 13:19:27
- Update = Brother Jerry spoke with Brother Curtis a little earlier and Brother Curtis is at the hospital now but there has been no change in Sister Janet’s condition. We will update as soon as we know more. Br. Lucien LeSage
- Date = 1/25/2011, Time = 18:36:52
- Update = Brother David O’Neal visited the hospital this afternoon at around 3:00 PM and he said there was no change in Sister Janet’s condition. Lucien LeSage
- Date = 1/26/2011, Time = 11:35:53
- Update = Brother Jerry Dodson spoke with Brother Curtis this morning and there is no change in Sister Janet’s condition. At this point all she can do is open her eyes and communicate with eye blinks. Brother Jerry Dodson is planning on making a trip to Tulsa on Monday, Jan 31st, to go see Brother Curtis and check on Sister Janet. He will be staying with Brother David O’Neal in Tulsa for a few days and will be close to the hospital. Thanks for all your prayers. Brother Lucien LeSage
- Date = 1/26/2011, Time = 16:40:04
- Update = I spoke with Brother Curtis around 3:30 PM this afternoon to check on Sister Janet. He said nothing has really changed. They have given her some stimulus drugs and she seems a little more alert. She has been keeping her eyes open more. When they pinch her arm there is a slight movement in her elbow but this may be an involuntary response. She is on a ventilator right now and when there is a lot of activity in the room she breathes over the ventilator by about 6 breathes per minute. However the doctor is afraid to pull the ventilator just yet. They have been able to insert a feeding tube into her throat so she is getting nourishment other than an IV. Brother Curtis is faced with the probability that he will have to place her in a nursing home in the same location where he is now living. The doctor tells him if she recovers that it may take months. Brother Curtis is faced with some hard decisions and needs everyone’s earnest prayers. As everyone knows Brother Curtis health is not good and he needs to go back to his home town to check to see if he needs blood. We will update again as soon as we know more. Brother Lucien LeSage
- Date = 1/27/2011, Time = 19:34:10
- Update = If anyone would like to send Brother Curtis words of encouragement please feel free to send him a message through the „Comments and Message” tab toward the bottom of main page. If you select „Send a message…” you can select Brother Curtis as the recipient and the message will be automatically emailed to him. If you „Post a General Comment” we will get it to Brother Curtis…. Brother Jerry Dodson is going to touch bases with Brother Curtis tonight and we will try to post something when we hear an update or else Brother Jerry will post it. Thanks, Brother Lucien
- Date = 1/27/2011, Time = 22:27:42
- Update = No change.
- Date = 1/28/2011, Time = 11:05:28
- Update = There is no change in Sister Janet’s condition at this time. Brother Curtis is in Poteau with his daughter, Anna, at this time. Ruthie is in Tulsa with her Mother. Brother Curtis is returning to Tulsa today. Brother Lucien LeSage
- Date = 1/29/2011, Time = 9:04:54
- Update = Brother Jerry Dodson spoke with Brother Curtis late last night. He has returned to Tulsa from Poteau and Sister Janet’s condition is the same.
- Date = 1/29/2011, Time = 21:08:58
- Update = No word on Sister Janet’s condition today.
- Date = 1/30/2011, Time = 17:56:19
- Update = Brother Jerry spoke with Brother Curtis this morning. Brother Curtis is in good spirits considering the circumstances. He has set an example to all of us as having faith in the Lord in the midst of great heartache and sorrow. Brother Jerry said that while Sister Janet can respond with eye blinks, that is all she can do for now. He thought that the doctors will be removing the ventilator early this week and doing a tracheostomy to assist in breathing and also inserting a feeding tube. We are not sure of all the details and this is only a general update. Brother Jerry Dodson and his wife are leaving Monday morning to travel to Tulsa in order to visit Sister Janet and be with Brother Curtis for a while.
- Date = 1/30/2011, Time = 18:18:24
- Update = In addition to previous post, Br Jerry announced in Church tonight that Sister Janet has been more alert today than since the surgery was completed.
- Date = 1/31/2011, Time = 8:49:58
- Update = Update from Brother Jerry Dodson late last night: I talked with both Bro Curtis and Bro David O’Neal. Both advised us to put the trip off a week. The weather is going to be terrible. Bro Curtis may put off his trip to Talihina for a while because of the impending weather. Nothing new concerning Sister Janet since I talked with the church tonight. Jerry Dodson
- Date = 1/31/2011, Time = 16:45:41
- Update = Brother Jerry Dodson spoke with Brother Curtis today and Brother Curtis was very encouraged that Sister Janet moved her left arm on her own. This is the first time that we know of that she has moved anything besides her eyes since the surgery. Brother Curtis also needs to go to Talihina Oklahoma this coming Friday to get blood. Brother Jerry Dodson is going to call Brother Curtis again tonight and if there is any change in Sister Janet’s condition we will update the page again. Thanks for all your prayers, Brother Lucien LeSage
- Date = 1/31/2011, Time = 18:40:30
- Update = Brother Jerry spoke with Brother Curtis this afternoon and the tracheostomy has been performed and Sister Janet is doing OK. She is still sedated from the proceedure. We will update when we hear more. Thanks, Brother Lucien
- Date = 2/1/2011, Time = 9:24:16
- Update = Message from Brother Jerry Dodson: I just talked to Bro Curtis. It is cold and icy there. There is about 3″ of snow on the ground which has covered the ice and it is supposed to snow hard the next 7 hrs. In fact, he said there was a white out there, and you could not see across the street. They have advised everyone to stay inside. Sister Janet had a peaceful night. She is extremely alert, and has both eyes opened. She did well during the tracheotomy. They are going to insert the feeding tube today. They will also get her up and place her in a chair for a while. They will also begin trying to wean her off of the ventilator. Brother Curtis and the girls seem to be doing ok.
- Date = 2/1/2011, Time = 17:27:53
- Update = Just talked with Bro Curtis again. The snow has stopped there but the wind is blowing heavily and the snow remains pretty deep. He said travel was pretty well blocked along the way we would have traveled on the Indian Turnpike. He was not sure if they were able to insert the feeding tube on Sister Janet because a lot of the staff could not get in to work today because of the weather. She has remained alert and the Doctor said that she is beginning to move her upper arms a bit on command. This is great news. All is well there. Brother Jerry Dodson
- Date = 2/2/2011, Time = 9:01:13
- Update = Update: Feb 02, 11 Bro. Curtis said that Sis. Janet had a peaceful night. They inserted her feeding tube yesterday and she did fine. She continues to be very alert. He had not yet talked with her Doctor today. The snow has them pretty well blocked in so he doubted if they could go to the hospital today. He and the girls continue to do well. Thank you for your continued prayers. Bro. Jerry
- Date = 2/2/2011, Time = 19:47:01
- Update = Spoke with Bro. Curtis tonight. Sister Janet is the same. The snow plows have cleared the area around his car and so he hopes to see Sister Janet in the morning. Thanks, Bro. Lucien
- Date = 2/3/2011, Time = 14:01:42
- Update = I talked with Bro Curtis a bit ago (9:25 AM). He is still snowed in the room and cannot get out. He had not called the hospital by the time I called this morning, but said he would call me back as soon as he found anything out. Brother Jerry Dodson.
- Date = 2/3/2011, Time = 14:46:42
- Update = I just talked to Bro Curtis. They were finally able to leave the room and were at the hospital with Sis Janet. She is still alert. She continues to breathe on her own without the aid of her ventilator, which is good news. The family remains upbeat with the progress she is making. Bro Jerry
- Date = 2/4/2011, Time = 10:26:00
- Update = I just talked with Bro Curtis a while ago. Sis Janet continues to do well. They have taken her off of the ventilator. They will move her into a room in a day or so for observation. Then if all remains well, they will transfer to a nursing home in Poteau. The weather looks like it is going to snow there again. We appreciate your prayers and concern. Bro Jerry
- Date = 2/5/2011, Time = 9:14:38
- Update = I just talked with Bro Curtis. There is no change. Sis Janet continues to do well. They have taken the ventilator completely out from where she is presently staying. They had more snow with more on the way. It is still difficult to get around because of it. Other than a bit of cabin fever, they are doing fine. Bro Jerry
- Date = 2/6/2011, Time = 16:10:40
- Update = Brother Jerry Dodson spoke with Brother Curtis a short while ago. Sister Janet is slowly improving. She is able to move her arms a little better than before and can move one side better than the other. There is the possibility that they will move her to a nursing home in Poteau as early as tomorrow. As a side note, Brother Curtis received blood while in Tulsa which is something that he occasionally needs. Thanks again for all your prayers. Updates from here on may not be as often, as things are progressing slowly and there is little change from day to day. We will update again as soon as we know that Sister Janet has been transferred from Tulsa to Poteau. After that point updates may be on a weekly basis unless we hear different. Thanks again, Brother Lucien LeSage
- Date = 2/7/2011, Time = 17:13:50
- Update = Brother Jerry spoke with Brother Curtis today and Sister Janet is still doing the same but she has not been moved to the nursing home in Poteau yet. Thanks, Brother Lucien LeSage
- Date = 2/8/2011, Time = 17:47:45
- Update = Brother Jerry spoke with Brother Curtis today. There is no change to Sister Janet’s condition. Brother Curtis and his daughters are in Poteau for a few days. He is speaking with the nursing home there. He also said it could snow as much as 10 more inches there. Thanks for all of your prayers for Sister Janet and Brother Curtis. Brother Lucien LeSage
- Date = 2/9/2011, Time = 11:38:06
- Update = Brother Jerry Dodson spoke with Brother Curtis Pugh a few minutes ago and it appears that the nursing home in Poteau is not an option. She may be moved to Fort Smith, Arkansas by tomorrow. Brother Curtis is still in Poteau and if she is moved then he will meet her in Fort Smith. This is only 20 to 25 miles from Poteau so it is fairly close. If anyone wants to send a card we have added Brother Curtis’ address to the end of this update page and have also updated the Missionary page. Sister Janet is making slow improvements but has a long way to go. Please continue to pray for the Pughs. Thanks again and God Bless all who have been so concerned. By His Grace ALONE, Brother Lucien LeSage.
- Date = 2/9/2011, Time = 22:16:46
- Update = Brother Jerry Dodson announced in Church tonight that Sister Janet is being moved to an extended health care facility on the sixth floor of Sparks Hospital in Fort Smith Arkansas. The facility is not a part of the hospital but is located there. The transfer is scheduled to take place at 10:30 AM tomorrow morning (Thursday). From what we understand the facility is more of a rehabilitation center than a nursing home. Sister Janet is beginning to move her lips somewhat but still can not speak. Since Brother Curtis received blood he is feeling very good according to Brother Jerry. We will update again when we receive more information. Brother Lucien LeSage
- Date = 2/11/2011, Time = 13:14:29
- Update = I talked with Bro Curtis just now. Sis Janet has been transferred to Ft Smith, Arkansas. She will get the care and the rehabilitation that she needs. That is about 25 miles from Poteau. Bro Curtis and the girls were on their way to visit with her as I spoke to him. The family really appreciates your prayers, your calls and your financial help. This has indeed been a most trying time for us all. Bro Jerry
- Date = 2/12/2011, Time = 12:51:12
- Update = Brother Jerry Dodson spoke with Brother Curtis this morning and Brother Curtis informed him that Sister Janet has taken an unexpected turn for the worse. She is unconscious at the present time. The doctor in Fort Smith thinks that Sister Janet has been suffering from a series of strokes all along. Brother Jerry is going to speak with Brother Curtis again this evening. Brother Jerry Dodson and his wife are planning to leave and go Fort Smith on Monday to visit with Brother Curtis. Please pray for the Pughs, Brother Lucien LeSage.
- Date = 2/12/2011, Time = 21:12:24
- Update = Brother Jerry spoke with Brother Curtis again this evening and there is no change to Sister Janet’s comatose condition. Brother Lucien.
- Date = 2/13/2011, Time = 21:01:34
- Update = Brother Jerry spoke with Brother Curtis again this evening and there is no change to Sister Janet’s comatose condition. Brother Lucien.
- Date = 2/14/2011, Time = 18:29:43
- Update = I spoke with Brother Curtis late this afternoon and he and his daughter along with Brother Jerry Dodson and Sister Jean Dodson were on their way to the rehab center in Fort Smith to see Sister Janet. Sister Janet has had no change in her comatose condition. The Doctor in Fort Smith wanted to compare the scans that were taken in Tulsa. When Brother Curtis called the hospital in Tulsa they would only mail the results via regular mail which would take three days, so Brother Curtis had to drive 4 hours round trip to pick the scans up to bring to Fort Smith. He asked for our continued prayers. Thanks, Brother Lucien LeSage.
- Date = 2/15/2011, Time = 11:53:59
- Update = I spoke with Sister Jean and Brother Jerry Dodson this morning who are in Oklahoma with Brother Curtis. Yesterday the doctor explained to them that Sister Janet is in what is called a locked in condition. According to the doctor Sister Janet is aware of what is going on in the room but cannot respond in any way. Brother Curtis daughter, Ruthie is still with him but has to return to Scotland on February 24th. Brother Curtis found out yesterday that the rehabilitation center can not keep Sister Janet more than three weeks and after that she will have to be moved. This was another unexpected bump in the road and the nearest possible location to move her is 50 miles from Poteau. Please continue praying for the Pughs. Thanks again, Brother Lucien LeSage
- Date = 2/16/2011, Time = 7:54:39
- Update = Brother Jerry Dodson spent much of the day yesterday at the hospital with Sister Janet and the family. It does appear that she suffered a series of strokes, one of which was major. There has been no change in her condition. Thanks, Brother Lucien LeSage.
- Date = 2/16/2011, Time = 22:36:50
- Update = I spoke with Brother Jerry Dodson this evening and there is no change in Sister Janet’s condition. He and sister Jean are still in Oklahoma with Brother Curtis. Brother Curtis’ daughter that lives in Michigan along with all her children and husband are driving back to Oklahoma to be with her mother and father. Please continue praying for Sister Janet and Brother Curtis. Thanks, Brother Lucien LeSage.
- Date = 2/17/2011, Time = 20:50:32
- Update = Brother Jerry Dodson has returned home from his trip to Poteau Oklahoma and Fort Smith Arkansas. He said that Sister Janet is completely unresponsive. It appears that the outlook, humanly speaking, is not good. As you can imagine this has been a trying time for Brother Curtis and his daughters. We do know that Brother Curtis owes a little over $2,000 for hotel bills in Tulsa while Sister Janet was in the hospital there. Brother Jerry and Brother Curtis are going to determine the expenses that Brother Curtis is in debt for. We think some financial help has come his way but we are not privy to any total amount. Brother Jerry Dodson will compose a letter to the Churches that support Brother Curtis stating his final financial situation and then if any feel led to help, we are sure that it will be much appreciated. Brother Jerry also expressed concern that when Brother Curtis daughters eventually return to their homes that Brother Curtis will be by himself, physically that is. The Lord will surely be with him and will never leave him. Brother Curtis has expressed that he is very thankful for everyones prayers for his family. Thanks for everyones concern and prayers. Brother Lucien LeSage.
- Date = 2/19/2011, Time = 13:49:09
- Update = Sister Janet had been running a mild fever that Brother Curtis was concerned about but when Brother Jerry spoke with Brother Curtis last night he said the fever had gone away. She is still comatose and unresponsive. Nothing has changed in that regard. Bro. Lucien
- Date = 2/19/2011, Time = 18:34:51
- Update = I just talked with Bro Curtis. No change in Sister Janet. She no longer has a fever. Ruthie stayed home today. Seems like she is coming down with a bug. Anna and her family are still there also. Curtis seems tired and this is certainly a trying time for him. Thanks, Brother Jerry.
- Date = 2/21/2011, Time = 14:45:50
- Update = Hello to All, It has been sometime since I personally sent out an update and I want you all to know about Janet. Please understand and forgive me if I have failed to return your phone calls or to answer your written communications. I am trying to reply to all, but fear I have failed in some instances. I also want to thank all of you who have helped in keeping information about Janet available via various aspects of the Internet. God has been good! I have been able to visit Janet every day except two when we were snow bound in the motel in Tulsa and one day when I was hospitalized, receiving blood, in Tulsa also. She is now in the Select Specialty Hospital (6th floor, Sparks Hospital) in Ft. Smith, AR. The doctors in Tulsa assured us that Janet was suffering from a bruised brain stem and that significant improvement could be expected. However, the doctors in Ft. Smith, having looked at all the scans (both theirs and the ones from Tulsa) are convinced as we are that Janet has had numerous strokes. She continues as before. Other than body movements when she attempts to cough and swallow and some movement of her eyes behind closed lids, she does not move. We know from the variation in her heart rate that she hears us and understands, but continues in this locked in state (medical term). We do not know what the future holds. It is difficult to see her in this present condition. Last week my hemoglobin was 8.3. I am scheduled to go to the local Indian Clinic tomorrow morning for blood work to determine if I need a transfusion. Perhaps the stress of our present situation also bears on my condition. We thank you heartily for all your concern and prayers. Some have sent financial gifts to help during this time. For these were are also thankful! Please do continue to pray for Janet and for all of us who are concerned. My trust is in the Sovereign God, the Ruler of all things, who has designed wisely and mercifully the path His children are to tread. He shall not fail! For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord (Romans 8:38, 39). Thanks, again, and please keep praying! Curtis
- Date = 2/22/2011, Time = 18:41:49
- Update = Brother Jerry spoke with Brother Curtis and he said there was a slight improvement in Sister Janet, but for the most part things are the same. Brother Lucien
- Date = 2/24/2011, Time = 15:18:19
- Update = Brother Jerry Dodson spoke with Brother Curtis today. There is really no change in Sister Janet’s condition. Brother Curtis was informed that he will have to move Sister Janet to some other location by the end of next week. The nursing home in Poteau has refused to take her for the second time. There are a couple of places not far from Poteau where he might keep her. Please continue to pray for the Pughs. Brother Lucien LeSage
- Date = 2/28/2011, Time = 7:37:32
- Update = There has been no chance in Sister Janet’s condition. We understand that Sister Janet will be moved on Wednesday to a nursing home that is 15 miles from Poteau. When that happens we will update this page. Check back Wednesday evening or Thursday morning. Thanks again for everyone’s prayers, Br Lucien
- Date = 3/2/2011, Time = 17:29:45
- Update = I spoke with Brother Curtis a few minutes ago and Sister Janet was moved to the nursing home 15 miles from his home, so he is able to visit her everyday. There has been no change in her condition and medically speaking she may remain in this condition. Please keep the Pughs in your prayers. Brother Lucien
- Date = 3/3/2011, Time = 10:04:37
- Update = Sister Janet is in room 34 at the Spiro Nursing Home, 401 South Main Street, Spiro, OK 74959.
- Date = 3/5/2011, Time = 19:12:38
- Update = To all concerned, It appears that Sister Janets condition stays the same and only our good Lord knows if it will improve over time. Many people have checked this web page often to check on Sister Janets condition. We will continue to add updates when we hear something different from Brother Curtis but since her condition seems to be the same there will not be as many posts from this point forward. Brother Curtis has been occasionally emailing updates to those on his mailing list. If you have not received an email from Brother Curtis on Sister Janets condition and would like to be added to his list then feel free to email Brother Curtis and state your name and email address and I am sure he would not mind adding you to his list. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org Please continue praying for the Pughs. Brother Lucien Lesage
- Date = 3/15/2011, Time = 19:42:07
- Update = I spoke to Brother Curtis this evening and he said that they have moved Sister Janet to a private room. He said she is much the same. Some days she is a little more responsive than others. He can still communicate with her with eye blinks on her good days. He has visited her everyday that he has been able. He is doing well and communicates with the brethren in Romania almost daily. Please continue your prayers for the Pughs. Thanks, Brother Lucien Lesage
- Date = 3/27/2011, Time = 16:29:38
- Update = I spoke with Brother Curtis this afternoon. He had just come from visiting Sister Janet. He said she seems to be doing a little better. She is opening her eyes more. She is also moving her head a little more and the nurse thinks she has been moving her arms some. Brother Curtis is thankful for everyones prayers. Brother Lucien LeSage
Address to send cards or mail to Brother Curtis and Sister Janet Pugh:
505 Nanih Waiya Lane
Poteau, OK 74953
Other Contact Information:
Email = email@example.com
Home Phone = 918-647-7322
Cell Phone = 918-658-0172