The Later Rain Movement By Ken Johnson
The Later Rain Movement
By Ken Johnson
The spring and fall festivals of the Jews contain ritual that teaches on the first and second comings of the Messiah respectively. In Joel 2:23 the Second Coming of the Messiah is compared to the later rain.
After the Pentecostal (Neo-Montanst) movement began with the Azusa street phenomenon of 1906, David Wesley Myland wrote a book titled „the Later Rain Covenant.” His attempt was to correlate the prophecies about the later rain, not with the Second Coming, but with the Azusa street manifestations. The idea now was that the gifts of the spirit would be restored to the Church right before the Second Coming, and they would be greater that they ever had before. This started a wave of false prophets throughout the twentieth century. Their collective heresies would become known as the Later Rain Movement.
On April 20 1948 the Assemblies of God stated the doctrines promoted by the later rain movement were not of God.
But in 1997 the Assemblies of God indorsed the manifestations at Pensacola.
Contrary to what the church had taught for centuries;
The Pentecostal movement taught:
• The practice of the laying on of hands to receive the holy spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues. (a Prayer Language was the only proof that you were filled with the Holy Spirit)
The Later Rain doctrine added to this:
• The belief that God has now restored all the gifts back to the church (esp. the office of apostle and prophet).
• All the spiritual gifts were imparted by the laying on of hands.
• Divine healing is imparted by the laying on of hands.
• Christians could be demonized and or possessed.2
• Casting out demons was accomplished by the laying on of hands.2
• Women have a full and equal ministry role in the local church. i.e. woman pastors, prophetesses, elders, etc.
• Fasting would bring supernatural power if done with the correct formula.1
• The concept of the Restoration of the tabernacle of David. Praise and worship is the means of calling down the presence of God and ushering God’s people into his presence.
• Singing in the spirit congregationally (in other tongues).
• The „song of the Lord” a prophetic song or one in tongues that is then interpreted.
• Emphasis on spiritual warfare. (we must use our gifts to fight Satan)
• Emphasis on personal and directive prophecy. (2 Peter 1:20)
• The ‘manifest sons of God’ will conquer physical death. (this is an extreme view held only by a few)
Later in this century some groups would add other teachings:
• God will bless you only if you prove yourself worthy by giving money to these people. (Seed Faith)
• Faith itself is a power. If you used the correct formula you can make anything happen. (Word Faith)
• God’s plan is to duplicate him self by transforming us into gods while we are still on earth.
By 1985 many were claming to be prophets or apostles. They would use excuses like „any proof against us or what we teach would be because Satan has set us up.” And „No one except a true prophet can discern true Christians from Satan’s counterfeits, if they accept us then they are a true prophet.”
By 1990 the apostolic movement hit and a lot of the Prophets became Apostles.
In the later days true prophets would hide themselves because of the corruption of the false prophets. Zech. 13:4,5
Slain in the Spirit
When God touches a person and either heals or gives some special revelation, occasionally some will faint. Consider the following scriptures.
Daniel 10:7-9,17 I, Daniel, was the only one who saw the vision; the men with me did not see it, but such terror overwhelmed them that they fled and hid themselves. 8 So I was left alone, gazing at this great vision; I had no strength left, my face turned deathly pale and I was helpless. 9 Then I heard him speaking, and as I listened to him, I fell into a deep sleep, my face to the ground. 17 How can I, your servant, talk with you, my lord? My strength is gone and I can hardly breathe.”
Daniel 8:27 I, Daniel, was exhausted and lay ill for several days. Then I got up and went about the king’s business. I was appalled by the vision; it was beyond understanding.
In acts 5, Ananias and Sapphira, his wife, lied to their pastor about money thereby stealing form God. Peter said You have not lied to men but to God.”
Acts 5:5-10 When Ananias heard this, he fell down and died. And great fear seized all who heard what had happened. 6 Then the young men came forward, wrapped up his body, and carried him out and buried him. 7 About three hours later his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 Peter asked her, „Tell me, is this the price you and Ananias got for the land?” „Yes,” she said, „that is the price.” 9 Peter said to her, „How could you agree to test the Spirit of the Lord? Look! The feet of the men who buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out also.” 10 At that moment she fell down at his feet and died.
If this is a genuine experience with God, it will be with a healing, or revelation, and the person will exhibit a marked change in attitude. So watch the reaction of the people after they get back up. If they don’t look like they have had a traumatic experience, then you know they are just doing what they are taught to do. This kind is not real.
If someone tells you „the healing or experience only occurs if you lie down” or tell you to raise your hands and look up (in praise), throwing off your equilibrium and then push, sometimes hard, to knock you over, then you know it is fake.
1 Atomic power with God through prayer and fasting. By Franklin Hall
2 William Branham
Atomic power with God through prayer and fasting. By Franklin Hall
2 William Branham